FROM STAFF REPORTS
Bethune-Cookman University is one of 17 colleges and universities that will share grants totaling $5 million as part of the Coca-Cola First Generation College Scholarship Program.
The $50,000 grant will benefit four B-CU students who are the first in their immediate family to attend college. Texas Southern University, Morehouse College and Fayetteville State University are among other schools receiving the grant.
The Coca-Cola Foundation — the global philanthropic arm of The Coca-Cola Company — awarded $26 million in grants to 85 community organizations during the first quarter.
The grants support the foundation’s global priority areas, including $9.7 million for water stewardship; $3.6 million for fitness and nutrition; $7.4 million for education; and $4.9 million for community recycling, along with other local priorities such as HIV/AIDS, malaria, youth development, and civic initiatives.
“We measure the success of our commitments by the impact these grants will have in people’s lives, in their neighborhoods and in their communities all over the world,” said Ingrid Saunders Jones, chairperson of The Coca-Cola Foundation. “Seeing the tangible results of partnership and innovation inspires our continued investment to help build sustainable communities around the world.”
These grants will make a powerful difference and will benefit:
• 2 million people worldwide with improved access to clean water or sanitation;
• 3.1 billion liters of water will be conserved; 48 tons of debris will be collected;
• 8.9 million people will benefit from increased water conservation and education;
• 2.3 million youth and adults will participate in fitness or nutrition programs; and
• 255,000 students will benefit from education programs; 32,639 will be awarded scholarships; and 169 colleges and other schools will receive grant support.
The Coca-Cola Foundation awarded more than $70 million to 263 community organizations around the world in 2011 to support sustainable community initiatives, including water stewardship, community recycling, active healthy living, and education.
For more information, visit www.thecoca-colacompany.com/citizenship/foundation_coke.html.