Mayor ‘shaken up’ over shooting at dad’s home

Daytona police shoot suspect who allegedly tried to stab woman


A shooting by police early Wednesday morning at the home of Daytona Beach mayor’s father has led to an investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE).

130926_dt_front01The FDLE is investigating two Daytona Beach police officers involved in the shooting of a suspect accused of committing domestic battery on his girlfriend. She also was shot by the police.

The disturbance took place at the home of Clinton Henry, the father of Daytona Beach Mayor Derrick Henry and Zone 5 City Commissioner Patrick Henry.

According to a police report, Jermaine Green, 32, was allegedly trying to stab Katrina Johnson at the Magnolia Street address in Daytona Beach.

Green was taken into custody. He and Johnson were transported to Halifax Medical Center for treatment. Johnson did not sustain any knife wound injuries.

Not Henry’s brother
A police report was filled out by Officer Nathaniel Williams but the Daytona Beach Police Department (DBPD) is not releasing the name of officers involved in the shooting.

According to a press release, per department policy the officers involved have been placed on administrative duty – non disciplinary.

Mayor Henry told the Daytona Times exclusively Wednesday he was “shaken up” by the incident at his dad’s house.

Henry said there are rumors in the community that Green is his half-brother.

“He is not my father’s son. He helped raise him.  He helped support him. He (Green) was on hard times. He was displaced,” Henry explained.

Dad was there
Henry said his father was on the scene when the disturbance occurred.

“He was there when all this happened. It’s not the kind of thing you want to see happen,” Henry related.

“My father mentored him while he was attending Spruce Creek High.  He had some issues with substance abuse. My father was trying to help him find his way in life,” Henry continued.

Green is 1999 Spruce Creek High graduate who went on to play running back at Washington State University.  He made the New York Giants roster in 2004 but did not play that season.

Dispatched at 2:45 a.m.

Police initially reported Wednesday that Johnson had been stabbed by Green, which was reported by various media outlets.

The first police report said Green “intentionally or knowingly caused great bodily harm, permanent disability or permanent disfigurement”  to Johnson and  “during the process of events used a deadly weapon.”

At about 2:45 a.m., police were dispatched to the Magnolia Avenue address in reference to a disturbance.

Multiple gunshots
The police report stated that “upon arriving at the scene, units were able to hear screams from a female as though she was in distress.”

Units then entered the address to find Green holding a knife to the neck of Johnson, according to the report.

Officers then issued numerous commands to the Green, to release the victim as well as to drop the knife.

“The defendant began to raise the knife in a motion to suggest that he was going to stab the victim, at which time patrol units fired numerous shots to deter Green from causing harm to Johnson,’’ the report noted.

Johnson was shot in her right arm and Green sustained multiple gunshot wounds to the right side of his body.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here