Librarian offers Genealogy 101 on Feb. 5
Learn how to trace your family’s history during a one-hour presentation at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 5, at the Daytona Beach Regional Library at City Island, 105 E. Magnolia Ave.
Genealogy Librarian Kim Dolce will introduce you to online and print sources that can help you get started on your search for your roots.
Cultural Council to meet Jan. 24
The Cultural Council of Volusia County will meet at 9 a.m. Friday, Jan. 24, at the West Volusia Historical Society’s Conrad Center, 137 W. Michigan Ave., DeLand.
Members will elect a chair and vice chair for 2014 and discuss the council’s ongoing programs and upcoming activities. The public is invited to attend and participate in the meeting.
The Cultural Council advises the Volusia County Council on matters relating to cultural arts and is the state-designated local arts agency for the county.
For more information, contact Cultural Coordinator Mike Fincher at 386-736-5963, ext. 15872, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Palm Coast center to launch academy
The Palm Coast Business Assistance Center (BAC) announces its new Small Business Development Center Business Academy, to start in early 2014.
“We’re excited to launch this program,” said Joe Roy, BAC area manager. “It will provide solid training and education in a variety of areas. The idea is to boost the performance and competitiveness of our Flagler County companies.”
The 2014 Business Academy will be comprised of three segments:
• Business management series will begin in March and include two-hour sessions taking place over five weeks. Topics to be covered include business planning, sales, marketing, lean operations and finance. This course is designed for existing businesses, and the cost per attendee will be $50 to cover materials.
• Evening workshops will begin in April and be scheduled for two hours in the evenings and cover topics such as marketing, social media, business planning and finance. These workshops are provided at no cost through the sponsorship of SCORE, SBDC and the Flagler County Chamber of Commerce and Affiliates.
• Special programs. Examples include Franklin Covey’s “4 Imperatives of Great Leaders” and “4 Disciplines of Execution,” Growth Wheel’s “Designing Your Business with a 360 View” and BAC’s “Lean Leadership Tools for Service Industries.”
Throughout 2014, the BAC will continue to hold other events including:
• Women in Business “Fearless & Focus” in February
• Home-Based Business in May
• Business Outreach in July
• Annual BAC Expo held in November
The Palm Coast Business Assistance Center is a partnership between the City of Palm Coast and the Florida Small Business Development Center hosted by the University of Central Florida. The BAC provides assistance in starting and growing businesses in Flagler County, at no cost to businesses.
The BAC is located at Palm Coast’s City Offices at City Marketplace, 160 Cypress Point Parkway, Suite B-105.
For more information and to register, contact the Palm Coast Business Assistance Center at 386-986-2499.
Job fair registration In DeLand
Registration is now open for the upcoming job fair to be held at the Chisholm Center on February 20 from noon to 4 p.m., 520 S. Clara Ave. Deland. There will be a fun zone for job seeker’s children and several community service informational tables at the event. Attendees are required to register with Employ Florida (EFM) www.employflorida.com as well as complete an assessment at www.cbevirtual247.com before the event. More information: 386-740-0808.
Prayer day at Choice church
The first Missionary Prayer Day will be held at the Choice Christian Worship Center, Jan. 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 327 S. MLK Blvd. Area churches are invited to partake in this event. Free refreshments. More information: 386-258-4673.