The Mike Curb College of Music, Entertainment and Art at Daytona State College will conduct open auditions for “Once on This Island’’ at 4 p.m. on Friday, April 11, at the News-Journal Center at 221 N. Beach St., Daytona Beach.
In addition, the open audition is an opportunity for both theater and non-theater majors to apply for scholarships; these are awarded to DSC students who participate in theatre classes or productions – tuition scholarships range from $600 to $2,400 per academic year.
“Once on This Island,’’ the highly original and theatrical adaptation of the popular fairytale “The Little Mermaid,’’ is an almost non-stop song and dance show. It tells the story of Ti Moune, a peasant girl who rescues and falls in love with Daniel, a wealthy boy from the other side of her island. After Daniel is returned to his people, the fantastical gods who rule the island guide Ti Moune on a quest to test the strength of her love against the powerful forces of prejudice and hatred. Appropriate and entertaining for the whole family.
• Ti Moune: Female Lead. A naive peasant girl in Haiti whose life is being led/helped by the gods. The heroine. Young, full of restless energy and fervor, she is immature and even a little selfish in her single-minded quest for freedom. Requires a strong dancer. Soprano with belt.
• Young Ti Moune: (5-12) Also plays the child for whom the story is told. Energetic, confident and sweet with a strong speaking and singing voice.
• Daniel Beauxhomme: Male Lead. A wealthy Haitian, who is cared for by Ti Moune after a car crash. Sensitive and poetic, he must be quite convincing as a romantic interest for the spirited Ti Moune. Tenor.
• Erzulie: Goddess of Love. A mentor for Ti Moune. Ethereal. Loving. The most approachable of the gods, but ultimately no less egocentric; by love, she means romance. Requires a strong Soprano.
• Agwe: God of Water. A mentor for Ti Moune. Larger than life. Mysterious. Requires a very strong singer with a dramatic voice and big range; Baritone/Bass.
• Asaka: Mother of the Earth. A mentor for Ti Moune. Spunky. Happy. Requires a strong singer – soprano with belt.
• Papa Ge: God of Death. Antagonist embodying the fears of all the peasants, and easy to dislike. Dark Tenor.
• Mama Euralie: Ti Moune’s adoptive mother, protective, superstitious, fiercely loving and strong willed. Alto.
• Tonton Julian: He is Ti Moune’s adoptive father, and from him she has learned the sacrificial love she demonstrates later. Caring, loving – a typical father. Baritone/Tenor.
• Storytellers: (All ages) Narrators of the story of Ti Moune. Predominantly speaking roles.
• Andrea Devereaux: Daniel’s betrothed – she seems cold at first, but turns out to be both humane and determined. Mezzo.
• Monsieur Beauxhomme: Daniel’s father. Baritone.
Participants should prepare one-minute song (if auditioning for the musical) and monologue; bring sheet music in the correct key and a headshot and résumé if available, as well as a list of conflicts within the rehearsal/performance dates.
Production dates for “Once on This Island:’’ June 6-7, 12-14, at 7:30 p.m., and June 6, 8, 13 and 15 at 2:30 p.m. – held in the Gillespy Theater, News-Journal Center.
For more information about the audition and scholarship application, call 386-226-1903 or email SternS@DaytonaState.edu.